> Benefits of Magnesium
Below is a very long list of benefits of magnesium. Magnesium is claimed to solve so many problems! It helps with blood sugar control (and therefore stomach fat), relaxes the lung muscles (helping asthma symptoms), generally helps you feel more calm and handle stress better, reduces aggression and moodiness, improves sleep, reduces nervousness and anxiety, helps cells have more energy, reduces inflammation and has proven to benefit various very difficult diseases.
"Even a mild deficiency of magnesium can cause increased sensitivity to noise, nervousness, irritability, mental depression, confusion, twitching, trembling, apprehension, and insomnia. Imagine being able to clear these symptoms without dangerous drugs!" - magnesiumforlife.com
"Magnesium is the premier medicine for depression, sleep disturbances, emotionally disturbed behavior, and neurological diseases because of its strong positive effect in calming and nourishing the nervous system." - Dr. Sircus (4)
Benefits of Magnesium
"...those who regularly absorbed a good amount of magnesium salts have a more stable
equilibrium, they support adversity with more calm and do not renounce everything to avoid some
sorrow... The use of magnesium permits one to support adversity with more serenity." -
French scientist M. L. Robinet
- Magnesium is the 'Great Relaxer'. Feel more relaxed within one day of taking supplements. Relaxes the muscles and the nervous system. (Sources: Dean, 1; Cabot, 2; Gilbert, 3)
- Very quick stress and tension reduction (depending on how fast acting supplement you take). Magnesium is the 'Great Stress Buster' (2, 3)
- Can reduce muscle cramps, aches and pains. Magnesium relaxes muscle cells and calcium contracts them. (1, 2)
- Strengthens the bones and cartilage. (1, 2)
- Improved sleep; magnesium can at least indirectly remedy insomnia. (1, 2, 3)
- Reduced anxiety, makes you feel more calm. (Sources: Dean, 1, Cabot, 2; Dr. Sircus, 4)
- Magnesium reduces nervousness. (4)
- Feel-good hormone endorphine depends on magnesium for its production in our bodies. (3)
- Boosts your natural production of DHEA - an important hormone linked to youthful vigor. (3)
- Magnesium can relieve asthma symptoms: it relaxes bronchial muscles, allows lungs' airways to expand, can help relieve shortness of breath and wheezing in asthma. "Today, giving magnesium intraveneously [by a doctor] is widely recognized as an effective way to halt an acute asthma attack." (1, 2)
- Can help fight obesity (affects obesity genes). (3)
- Needed to activate 800 enzymes in the body. Some of these enzymes produce energy in the cells' mitochondria. (2, 3)
- Increased energy. (1, 2)
- Relief from the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and flatulence by taking magnesium supplement and peppermint oil. (2)
- Helps detoxify heavy metals. (3)
- Helps to escort toxic chemicals out of the body. (3)
- Syndrome X (metabolic syndrome) symptoms can be helped my magnesium. Syndrome X is linked to abdominal fat and is a precursor to diabetes. (2)
- Blood pressure can be significantly reduced with magnesium in many but not all people. (2)
- Restless leg syndrome can be treated with magnesium. (2)
- Magnesium can reduce depression. (2, 4)
- Stabilizes the electrical potential of the cell membrane and therefore is "vitally important for preventing unwanted electrical charges in body tissues." Such charges could result in epileptic fits, panic attacks or fatal heart arrythmia. (1, 2)
- Magnesium supplementation can help to reduce some of the damage done to the body by alcohol. Alcohol can cause you to become magnesium deficient quicker. (2)
- Number of studies link hardening of the arteries to magnesium deficiency. (2)
- Magnesium can lower the C-reactive protein in arteries, which means it can lower inflammation. (2)
- Can significantly decrease hyperactivity in children according to one study. Other studies showed a reduction in ADHD symptoms. Magnesium calms the brain and causes more coherence in brain function. (2, 4)
- Magnesium can eliminate chronic fatigue syndrome in those deficient in the mineral. (2)
- Can be used as a laxative against constipation in large doses. (2)
- Can reduce insulin resistance. Magnesium deficiency is related to cells becoming resistant to insulin and to pancreatic cells secreting too much insulin. (2)
- Sensitivity to noise can be reduced. (Source: Dr Sircus, 4)
- Reduced twitching. (4)
- Alzheimer's disease symptom improvements. (4)
- Parkinsons Disease symptoms improvements. "Evidence is mounting that low levels of magnesium contribute to the heavy metal deposition in the brain that precedes Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s. Many of the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease can be overcome with high magnesium supplementation." (4)
- Magnesium can reduce epilepsy seizures: "In a trial with 30 epileptics 450 mg of magnesium supplied daily successfully controlled seizures. Another study found that the lower the magnesium blood levels the more severe was the epilepsy." (4)
- Regulates central nervous system excitability. Therefore magnesium supplementation can lessen the tendency for aggressive behavior, depression and suicide. (4)
- Clouded thinking, confusion, disorientation, hallucinations and delirium can sometimes be reduced with magnesium supplementation. (4)
- Symptoms common in multiple sclerosis (MS) are similar to magnesium deficieny: muscle spasms, weakness, twitching, muscle atrophy, rapid eye movements, hearing loss and osteoporosis. (4)
- Possibly better blood flow, vascular function, and less clotting. (1, 4)
- Observational and experimental studies have shown an association between magnesium bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. (4)
- Magnesium is crucial for the integrity of the blood-brain-barrier. (4)
- May reduce kidney stones and other calcification diseases by keeping calcium in solution. (2)
- Migraines: "Magnesium concentration has an effect on serotonin receptors [etc, ...] The available evidence suggests that up to 50% of patients during an acute migraine attack have lowered levels of ionized magnesium. Infusion of magnesium results in a rapid and sustained relief of an acute migraine in such patients. [...] chronic [long-term] oral magnesium supplementation may also reduce the frequency of migraine headaches. [...] we feel that a trial of oral magnesium supplementation can be recommended to a majority of migraine sufferers. (Source: Mauskop, Altura, 5)
- Headaches: "I have seen many of my patients reduce the frequency and severity of many types of headaches by taking 400mg daily of elemental magnesium. This includes tension headaches, cluster headaches and migraines." (2)
- Magnesium can help prevent stroke and help in recovery. (2)
- Magnesium supplementation may help heal your gut, treat leaky gut syndrome and treat gut malabsorption. (Source: Dean, 1)
- Magnesium may help prevent heart disease. (1)
- Anecdotal testimonials online suggest that magnesium may improve sex drive.
"The two most basic requirements for the normal operation of our brain are a sufficient energy supply and an optimal presence of biochemicals involved in transmitting messages. Magnesium is crucial in both the production of energy and neurotransmitters, and the integrity of the blood brain barrier. Solid neuroscience connects magnesium to neurological disorders." - Dr. Sircus (4)
"There is a definite link between how we feel and the condition of our cells. If we think of our cells as a microcosm of our total self, then we can see how cellular degeneration can affect every aspect of our being. When our cells are open, permeable and healthy we feel happy, energetic and optimistic. But when our cells become rigid (from excess calcium and insufficient magnesium) they become closed off and toxic, which can lead us to feel depressed with low energy and pessimistic moods." - Dr. Sircus (4)
More information on cell membrane permeability here.
Floradix Liquid Magnesium from iHerb
This is not ionic but I found this supplement worked for me.
(1) Dr. Carolyn Dean MD, ND: 'Invisible Minerals, Part 1: Magnesium' (book)
(2) Dr. Sandra Cabot: 'Magnesium: The Miracle Mineral: You Won't Believe the Difference It Makes to Your Health and Your Sex Life!'
(3) Brandon Gilbert, 'Hyperion Herbs TV' on YouTube: "The Benefits of Magnesium Oil - Transdermal Magnesium Oil Benefits".
(4) Dr. Sircus: 'Magnesium in Neurological Diseases and Emotions' - Drsircus.com
(5) Mauskop A, Altura BM: 'Role of magnesium in the pathogenesis and treatment of migraines'
Further Reading on Magnesium Benefits:
Click on images to see in Amazon USA, UK or Canada:
Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.: The Magnesium Miracle: Discover the Missing Link to Total Health:
Sandra Cabot, M.D.: Magnesium: The Miracle Mineral: You Won't Believe the Difference It Makes to Your Health and Your Sex Life!:
Nolan Edwards: 'Magnesium: What Your Doctor Needs You to Know: Including: How to Fight Diabetes, Have a Healthy Heart, and Get Strong Bones!' (Volume 1):
Mildred Seelig and Andrea Rosanoff: 'The Magnesium Factor: How One Simple Nutrient Can Prevent, Treat, and Reverse High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Diabetes, and Other Chronic Conditions':
More books on Benefits of Magnesium on Amazon.
Jump to top of page
The best natural health tips from this website - 2nd edition!
This book came out of a necessity to begin putting in one coherent place, neatly ordered, all the amazing ways we can use to naturally reclaim back our health, free of charge.
70 brief chapters, each introducing you to the benefits of a certain technique, or a trick, to improve your health frugally. Natural, noninvasive and easy techniques. Pick the ones that suit your lifestyle and begin enjoying the good life!
- Many of the best insights from the last six years of writing Cheap Health Revolution
- Amazing benefits of everyday habits you didn't know about
- Many of the methods are tried and tested
- Links to additional information, book recommendations, etc.
- Free and very cheap methods
- Suitable for busy lifestyles
- Most methods are suitable for any healthy dietary preference
You can view the full contents as well as the first few chapters for free on Amazon.
We guarantee that you will find the book helpful or we will refund your payment.
JUST PUBLISHED! On the 25th of April...
Purchase Now on Amazon!
> Benefits of Magnesium